Luma 64 – a portable Nintendo 64

img_9311_zps5k9jfg85

Without a doubt this post is long overdue. After roughly five years of off-and-on work, I completed my Nintendo 64 portable gaming device, dubbed Luma 64. I built the shell out of two Tupperware-style containers; one comprised the bulk of the handheld while the other was chopped apart and used as an extension to house the cartridge slot. I doubt I’ll ever use a case like this for any future projects because it ends up being rather thick for a portable and as polished as I tried making the end result, it’s still not very professional. As a friend of mine put it, “you can be the best case-maker in the world, but at the end of the day it’s still Tupperware.”

One feature I made sure to include in this handheld is a LOB64 jack. This multiplayer/AV out jack isn’t built into very many Nintendo 64 portables, but the idea upon its inception was to create a standard connection throughout the modding world. The more portables that incorporate the standard, the more likely you are to encounter another LOB64 portable at a convention or expo.

2-Part Update

Nintendo S Repainted
I’ve been doing a lot of work trying to get the feel of the paint on the Nintendo S just right. It’s been a real struggle with the Rustoleum paint that I was using because it goes on way too thick. What I really needed was a little bit of paint thinner. When dealing with plastics – especially ABS – you need to be very careful with paint thinner as it can erode your plastic. Instead, I’ve been trying to smooth out the texture with good old sandpaper, 320 grit. I think I’ve finally gotten a texture I like. As you can see from the picture, I’ve finally drilled speaker holes in the front of the case. Like the SuperCon, I intend this project to be a gift for my friend DJ Psychoh! So before I put on a final layer of clear coat, I want to paint his OH! logo somewhere on the case.

SuperCon mounting parts
Speaking of the SuperCon, I’m finally in the homestretch. If you’ve been following my progress on the Bacteria forums, you would know that I ran into some trouble with the controller that I was using. Because I had chopped it up, the left arrow button wasn’t working consistently. Yesterday I bought a new 3rd party SNES controller and it worked perfectly when I wired it up. I’m in the process of mounting everything inside the case, so expect to see this project completed shortly!

Nintendo S colored

nintendo s painted

I’m making headway on the Nintendo S by adding some color to it. The paint is Rust-oleum Metallic chrome spray paint. This paint is not without its issues, which may or may not be caused by the fact that this particular can is at least 2 years old. It sprays on very thick and doesn’t cling to the plastic very well. There are very small specks in the paint that appear black and it doesn’t leave a very smooth, mirror-like finish. I can accept a finish that doesn’t give a perfectly reflective chrome look as long as I can get a consistent texture on it, but I’m having trouble getting even that. As I mentioned, it may be the age of the paint. It may be time to get a new can; which if I do, I think I’ll test the Krylon brand. I’ve been using Krylon for another project and am very pleased with the finish.