My Portable Playstation, NOT a PSP

img_9586_zpszju7h9lf

If you could choose between owning a handheld Playstation 1 or handheld Playstation 2, which would you pick? PS2 is the obvious choice; it has better graphics, doubles as a DVD player, and it plays the entire library of PS1 games with (from what I hear) only one or two exceptions.

I’m surprised I haven’t gotten a lot of criticism for this so far, but I opted to build a portable gaming device using a PSone, the smaller, revised Playstation 1 model.

The build began in the summer of 2014 during a build competition and I had to delay this project because my carelessness caused me to burn out the first system board I was working with. An additional fried PSone and two overhauls on the case’s body later and I can call this portable finally complete.

The portable contains two 7.4V camcorder batteries, wired together for approximately 4400 mAh of juice. A standard-sized PS1 memory card is permanently wired up to slot 1, so I never have to worry about forgetting a memory card at home. I’ve also included a mem card slot to accept additional cards, so I can transfer saves if I decide I want to continue my game on an unmodified console.

Advertisements

Luma 64 – a portable Nintendo 64

img_9311_zps5k9jfg85

Without a doubt this post is long overdue. After roughly five years of off-and-on work, I completed my Nintendo 64 portable gaming device, dubbed Luma 64. I built the shell out of two Tupperware-style containers; one comprised the bulk of the handheld while the other was chopped apart and used as an extension to house the cartridge slot. I doubt I’ll ever use a case like this for any future projects because it ends up being rather thick for a portable and as polished as I tried making the end result, it’s still not very professional. As a friend of mine put it, “you can be the best case-maker in the world, but at the end of the day it’s still Tupperware.”

One feature I made sure to include in this handheld is a LOB64 jack. This multiplayer/AV out jack isn’t built into very many Nintendo 64 portables, but the idea upon its inception was to create a standard connection throughout the modding world. The more portables that incorporate the standard, the more likely you are to encounter another LOB64 portable at a convention or expo.

Co-founding a new gaming community and building a portable PS1

First and foremost, I’d like to announce that, along with a couple of my internet friends, I have co-founded a new online community dedicated to gaming, modding, and music, with discussion of other topics welcome as well. Please come check it out and I urge you to sign up to be a part of this growing community!

Link -> BitFix Gaming

In other news, I’ve been working for the past two and a half months on building a portable Playstation 1 for a competition on the Bacman forums. The competition officially ends on January 7. I can’t say for sure if I’ll be able to finish my entry before the deadline, but I hope to end up with something that I’ll be proud to display and – more importantly – enjoy playing.

SuperCon – a portable Super Nintendo inside a Nintendo 64 shell

supercon1
This is a project I began working on in early April of this year. The concept is to make a portable Super Nintendo complete with rechargable batteries and a 3.5″ screen and house the whole thing inside the shell of a Nintendo 64. The shell was leftover from a previous project which I have yet to complete. I’ll create a post on that when I eventually get back to working on it. The name SuperCon is derived from the fact that this will be a graduation gift for my friend Connor and since it appears at first glance to be a Nintendo 64, it is deceiving. Hence, a con. A more detailed worklog can be viewed on Bacteria’s forum. However, I will continue to post updates here as well.

supercon2
After filling the major gaps in the 64’s shell, I applied liberal amounts of Bondo to smooth out the surface. With that complete, I chopped up a third party SNES controller and “frankencased” them into the system. Believe me when I say that a LOT of sanding was done around this time.

supercon3
I also cut holes on the underside of the shell for the controller’s shoulder buttons. Because the stock buttons were so short, they didn’t protrude through the holes very far. I would prefer that they stick out beyond the case by 2 or 3 millimeters. To achieve this, I made new buttons by cutting the necessary shapes out of blocks of acrylic.

supercon4
Modifications to the electronics include drawing power for the motherboard from the screen’s driver board, tapping composite image directly from the mobo, and allowing the whole thing to run off of either batteries or wall power. I also had to perform a cartridge slot relocation, which is pretty standard for consoles-turned-portables.

supercon5
The front and back of the system have both been primed and painted. I created a decal for the front of the system, to be placed between the controls, which I hope to have applied by the end of the week. Once that is complete, finishing the project should be a matter of wiring up audio and controls, mounting all of the internal components, and closing up the case!