Part of an upcoming project that I have on my to-do list requires me to connect arcade controls to a Raspberry Pi. I wanted to get those technicalities out of the way before really digging in, so with a lot of help from a post on Adafruit’s website, I was able to connect my Pi to an iCade Core for some great arcade-style gaming.
The version of RetroPie running in the video is the 2.3 stable release. Since then, I’ve tried out the 3.0 beta, but hitting a few snags. The first of which is that the controller configuration is not retained between sessions. The second is that exiting a game causes the Pi to freeze. I’m sure this is due to the Retrogame program (from Adafruit tutorial) butting heads with the beta. If this isn’t resolved in the stable release of RetroPie 3, then I’ll have to stick with version 2.3 for my project, which really won’t be a problem at all.
And I apologize for not revealing the full nature of the project. As you can probably surmise, it’s arcade-based. For now, I prefer to keep the rest of the details in the dark.
Every Friday I write a column for BitFix Gaming featuring an oddity from the world of gaming. This past week’s article wasn’t focused on a single item, but the jumble you can get yourself in when toying with the interconnectivity of various Nintendo products.
Rather than spending the rest of this post explaining what I mean, this video will cover the details a lot more clearly.
Hackaday was gracious enough to include my video in their weekly links post, which helped boost my Youtube page’s activity, if just for a day or two. If you’re interested in more gaming oddities, check out my weekly feature on BitFix!
My portable Playstation took a turn for the worse when I accidentally fried the system board. Since then I’ve found a replacement PS1 on the cheap, but started another project rather than finishing what I had already started.
The Dreamcast ControlView
This is a specialized Dreamcast controller with a 3.5″ screen built-in, allowing me to play Sonic Adventure and Shenmue completely free from the TV.
I built this from start to finish in just under 2 weeks. Build started on Sunday, January 4 and finished January 15, just in time to make the entry for the 2014 Build-off Competition on the bacman.co.uk forums. Build log here.
First and foremost, I’d like to announce that, along with a couple of my internet friends, I have co-founded a new online community dedicated to gaming, modding, and music, with discussion of other topics welcome as well. Please come check it out and I urge you to sign up to be a part of this growing community!
Link -> BitFix Gaming
In other news, I’ve been working for the past two and a half months on building a portable Playstation 1 for a competition on the Bacman forums. The competition officially ends on January 7. I can’t say for sure if I’ll be able to finish my entry before the deadline, but I hope to end up with something that I’ll be proud to display and – more importantly – enjoy playing.
This is a project I’ve been working on for a little in between getting busy with life. Because my secondhand Colecovision (should we just assume that all Colecovisions are secondhand at this point?) came with no controllers, I made my own out of a broken NES controller. I used the original NES controller board and shell, with the cable being pulled from a damaged Playstation 2 controller.
I recently made this video to demonstrate an overclocked Game Boy Advance. I did this as part of a guide on overclocking which I made for Bacteria’s forum. That guide can be found here.
I am a big fan of the Rubik’s Cube. When I was in college the fact that I didn’t know how to solve one started eating away at me, so I got my first cube that Christmas didn’t put it down until I learned how to solve it. Recently I thought it was time to take my love for the cube up a level and fabricate my own functional cube out of wood.
The template cube that I’m working with is actually the very cube I previously mentioned. I had scrambled and solved that cube so many times that I had literally worn the spots off of it! Now it sits as a solid black cube which anyone can solve. For the wood I chose a nice piece of cherry which I believe will present a very nice finish once it has been stained.
To test my first piece, I reassembled my cube, replacing one of the edges with my new wooden piece. It fits very well and each of the sides still turn smoothly. With enough patience, fabricating the numerous cube’s sections shouldn’t be difficult, but creating the 6-axis hub that connects the components in the center of the cube may prove to be a challenge.
The Nintendo S is complete! Enjoy the little video I put together.
Before I gifted away the SuperCon, I performed a speed run of Super Mario World on in to prove that it is fully functional. There are actually a few SNES features that are not implemented on the SuperCon; for instance, there are no input jacks for additional controllers. That means that this system is single player only and it is not compatible with the Super Scope light gun or the SNES mouse. I hope you enjoy this speed run video!
For those interested, I’ve uploaded the SuperCon User’s Manual that makes a brief appearance in the presentation video.
PDF link: SuperCon manual